Friday 3 February 2012

Welcome to the world of Origami!


Origami is the traditional Japanese art of paper folding, usually without using glue or other material to hold the paper together.

This is my new blog about Origami. In this, I will be writing about my explorations of the world of Origami, and posting pictures and links that would be of interest to fellow Origami enthusiasts. I will try to post at least once a week, and include as many of the models I made during that period, especially if I folded them for the first time. I will also try to provide a link to a favourite model of mine, or a relevant web site.

Apart from Origami, I also do some Kirigami, which is the art of paper cutting. I usually try my hand at geometric constructions, pop-up cards, etc.

Recent Origami
Here are a couple of things I have done in the last few days.

Collapsible Dome by Fernando Sierra

The crease pattern for this is available here. The design consists of a central octagon surrounded by diamond shaped pleats. When all the pleats are collapsed, the whole model becomes the size of just the central octagon!

I folded this on the way to Mysore last week. Folding time: about an hour.


I started with a square piece of paper

Collapse in progress

Mostly Collapsed

Torus Construction using Villarceau circles
Kirigami Design by Yoshinobu Miyamoto. The template is available here.

I learnt about Villarceau circles while browsing Flickr's Origami group, which is an excellent place to see the latest Origami works of people from around the world.

Torus using Villarceau circles








   





What's New?

I did a couple of workshops at Jaaga, a new "open space" in Bangalore, and I was pleasantly surprised by the good attendance. The plan is to do another workshop or two, followed by regular weekly classes.

You can see some pictures from the Jaaga session on Jan 30th here.

Japan Habba 2012 is coming!

Japan Habba is the annual festival of the Indo-Japanese community in Bangalore. Last year, I had my first public exhibition of Origami at Japan Habba, and a lot of people enjoyed seeing, touching and playing with many Origami models. This year's Habba is scheduled for Feb 18th, and I am hoping to display some more of my Origami!

No comments:

Post a Comment