Wednesday 15 February 2012

Flower Tower by Chris Palmer

8 Petal Flower Tower 
 Design by Chris Palmer
Paper: 50cm x 50cm
Final size: 21cm x 21cm, 10cm high when fully extended.
Folding time: 3 hours.
Chris Palmer's Flower Tower is one of the benchmarks of Origami.

Each level of the model can be twisted in clockwise or anticlockwise direction, making it completely flat, or it can be made to stand up, as seen in this picture.

What you see here is a 3-level tower, which pops beautifully when you fold it flat and take your hand off it.

The design and instructions are available on CDs at the Shadowlands website. I have long been interested in doing this model, and I even considered buying the CD at one point! But then, I was able to figure out how to do it, thanks to some strategic but cryptic instructions I could find on the internet. Obviously I was ecstatic when I cracked the problem after many hours of struggle. If anyone is interested, I can send them the relevant links.

One of the concepts used in folding the flower tower is "decreeping", which involves opening the model, reversing many of the folds, and refolding, creating a new level. The set of pictures of the making of Dasa Severova's Flora Perpetua give you an idea of this process.

I still have on my plate other variations such as the 12-petal version, which seems a bit more complicated. You can see a fascinating video of the 12-petal tower being opened out and closed again here. Apparently it is possible to fold models with even more petals, but I haven't seen any pictures of such models!

Origami Ex Libris


Can you guess what this is made of?

 
























Japan Habba 2012

I am exhibiting my Origami at Japan Habba, on Sunday, Feb 19th.
Location: Jnana Jyothi Auditorium, Palace Road.
Here is a report in today's The Hindu about this year's Japan Habba.

No comments:

Post a Comment