Friday 23 March 2012

Honeycomb, and my own flower design?



Honeycomb Design

I saw this lovely honeycomb design on the Origami USA site (this site has lots of nice designs, but no diagrams) and I just had to try it myself! It looked complicated, but it was not too difficult to guess how to get started on it. And after a few hours of manic folding, including a trial run, here is the end result!

Design by Kenneth KawamuraPaper: Hexagon (32cm) cut from a sheet of banana paper (55cm x 67cm)
Final size: 14cm across
Folding time: 4 hours
Diagram: none


 
This it the bottom view of the honeycomb design. It is not as interesting as the top view, but you can get some more ideas about how the design works.

The design requires a hexagonal grid of 32x32x32, so I cheated and printed an A4 sheet with a grid generated from this very useful site.




Just to give you an idea of how much paper is used, of the 1536 small triangles in the grid, only 36 are visible (in the shape of 6 hexagons of 6 triangles each). The rest of the paper becomes vertical, wrapped around the hexagons in the nice spiral pattern.




Once I finished my trial with an A4 sheet, I had to find the right paper which was large enough, and could also take a lot of handling.

I decided to use a large sheet of banana paper which is very thin and crisp, and can handle lots of creasing. And this model does need lots of pre-creasing, so using the right kind of paper becomes more important.



My own Flower design?


(Krishna's?) Flower

Bottom of the flower
I came up with this design a couple of days ago while trying to reverse engineer another new design. I need to check if anyone can identify if something like this has been done before. Otherwise I can claim to be the designer, and possibly give it a name too! If you think of an appropriate name for this, tell me!


Paper: Square of colour copy paper (from A4)
Finished model: 7cm x 7cm x 6cm
Folding time: 10 minutes
Diagram: not yet!


Piramide Settima


Design by Francisco Guarnieri
Diagram here.

It is a clever design to convert four squares into a pyramid. You make one side of the square "disappear" by folding it on itself, resulting in a triangle.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! With some more planning, it should be possible to make the honeycomb pattern emerge with the right colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shree, Thanks for your comment. I am not sure what you mean by "right colours". Can you explain?
      -krishna

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful designs! Fun, too. I'm considering keeping Mason Bees next year & Your 'honeycomb' paper folding reminds me of the tubes housing them. Nice Artworks! ~X🐝X~

    ReplyDelete