Sunday 18 March 2012

Back to Origami

After all the cycling, I am back with some new Origami models this week.
Enjoy! 




Modular Ball
Design by Fumiaki Kawahata
Paper: 6 squares.
Links to diagram here.

This is a simple design of pleating, with two bends for the lock. The 6 peices lock together in the typical three-dimensional design used for most cubic designs.






Andrea's Rose
Design by J C Nolan
Paper: 28cm x 28cm handmade paper
Final size: 14cm x 14cm
Video and diagram here.

This is one of those recursive designs where after each level, the remaining paper becomes smaller. Also the folding involves some sort of "decreeping", i.e. reversing of folds to bring the remaining paper up to the front, to make the next level possible.

I chose handmade paper with some string embedded in it, which was not a great choice. I wanted to call it Andrea's "Hairy" Rose because of all the strings poking out. I finally had to trim them to make it look prsentable!



Janet Yelle's Prism Star
Design by Janet Yelle
Paper:  18 x 8 rectangle (leftover from making a square from A4 copy paper)

I had made this many years ago and had forgotten about it. The design can be easily figured out from the picture. It is basically a set of waterbomb bases on either side of the central strip of mountain and valley folds.

I think that it can be done with 18 x 10 rectangle to provide overlap in the other direction as well.







XYZmbe
Design: Nick Robinson
Paper: 6 squares
Diagram here.

This model really needs a duo coloured paper, so I will try again and update the picture.




Coming Up!

With the school summer vacation coming up, I may be doing a few more Origami sessions. Currently I am scheduled to do one for Rainbow Club/Library In Malleswaram itself next week. This will be for small children, so I really have to think about what I am going to teach!

No comments:

Post a Comment